As a kid, I used to become conveniently full immediately after I had eaten the top off of my blueberry muffin. It wasn’t that the bottom of the muffin was bad, it was just that it in no way compared to the sweet, crumbly, buttery top of the muffin. So essentially I’ve always loved muffin tops.
But you know what happens when you eat too many muffin tops (or muffins for that matter). You turn into a muffin top. Of course I had to find a way to defy this natural series of events. And boy oh boy did I succeed with these Blueberry Banana Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble.
Let’s start with the fact that they don’t contain any butter (vegan or otherwise) AT ALL. That’s right, folks, I replaced all of the butter/vegetable oil you typically find in muffins with a heavily reduced amount of coconut oil. I supplemented the reduced amount of oil with…wait for it…applesauce! Applesauce has virtually no calories. Okay, that’s not true. But it doesn’t have a lot of calories. It also adds an incredible amount of moisture. Let’s be honest, nobody likes a dry muffin.
What else is so great about these muffins? They’re whole wheat, and one third of the flour is substituted with oat flour, making them filling and hearty without making them dense. They’re also filled with bananas (which, as it turns out, have a really interesting history and a TON of health benefits) and fresh blueberries (fruit=good for you), and sweetened with agave nectar.
Of course, the cinnamon crumble takes these muffins OVER. THE. TOP. It’s crunchy. It’s sweet. It’s cinnamon-y. Can you tell that I’m in love with these muffins? I think I’m going to stop buying candles and start baking these all the time. Sound good? Cool.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup agave
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed+3 tablespoons water)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1.25 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons softened (but not melted) coconut oil
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup raw cane sugar
- ¼ cup organic brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Make your flax egg by mixing 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- Grease your muffin pans or line them with papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (whole wheat pastry flour through salt).
- Add in mashed bananas, vanilla, agave, your pre-made flax egg, coconut oil, and applesauce and stir to combine. Add blueberries to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- To make the crumbly topping, add softened coconut oil, oat flour, cinnamon, cane sugar, and brown sugar to a bowl and combine with a pastry blender or a fork.
- Spoon the muffin batter into your prepared cupcake pans.
- Sprinkle one or two teaspoons of the cinnamon crumble on each muffin cup.
- Bake mini muffins for 12-15 minutes.
- Bake large muffins for 18-20 minutes.