Mmm caprese salad. A salad filled with ripe tomatoes, fragrant basil, and mild, tender mozzarella, topped with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. These are the things I dream about as I’m laying in bed waiting to fall asleep. Does that make me weird? I’ll let you decide.
One thing that makes me sad about caprese salad is the fact it’s difficult to find out where packaged mozzarella came from and what exactly is in it. I love cheese just as much as the next person, but I don’t like when it comes from unhappy cows that are pumped with steroids. So I had to create an alternative for when good cheese simply isn’t tangible. Enter, Tomato and Avocado Salad with Basil Oil.
It is so good. The creamy, rich avocado makes a perfect substitute for mozzarella. It also pairs perfectly with the tangy, sweet tomatoes. However, one of the best things about this salad is the basil oil that is drizzled on top. Instead of putting big basil leaves in the salad, I blend them with some salt and extra virgin olive oil to make an incredibly fresh and flavorful dressing. Top it off with a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and you have yourself a quick and delicious summer salad!
- 2 Medium-sized heirloom tomatoes
- 1 Large Avocado
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ Cup fresh basil leaves
- ⅛-1/4 Teaspoon sea salt, depending on preference
- 2 Tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- Slice the tomatoes and the avocado into thin slices. Put them into a bowl or onto a dish.
- Add olive oil, basil, and sea salt to a food processor and pulse until the basil leaves are finely chopped.
- Drizzle the basil oil over the sliced tomatoes and avocado.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the tomatoes and avocado.