I can’t believe it’s August! I don’t think that a summer has ever gone by as quickly as this one has for me. Between graduating, traveling, moving, and starting a new job, I’ve hardly had time to notice how hot it is outside. The past week has been even more of an escape from the heat because I’ve been in the Caribbean! My wonderful aunt, uncle, and cousins invited me to join them and my grandparents on their vacation and it’s been a blast. Let’s be honest, it’s hard to beat swimming and being on the beach all day.
While we’re on the (loose) subject of summer, let me tell you about this Summer Salad with Spiced Chickpeas. It’s everything you want in an incredible, sweet, salty, crunchy, hearty, refreshing
That’s because it starts with a refreshing bed of romaine that’s topped with sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, creamy avocado, salty kalamata olives, pepitas, and satisfyingly spicy chickpeas. Let’s talk about these chickpeas for a minute.
You know how people season and saute meat and fish before they add it to a salad to make it taste way better/sanitary? Why not do the same with beans? Let’s be honest, beans can be kind of bland without any seasoning. They’re good, but they’re not amazing. I like to eat amazing things, don’t you?
I started off by sauteing some garlic in olive oil. Then I added rinsed and drained chickpeas, salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin. I ended up with deliciously spicy chickpeas that were slightly crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside. Yes, they are amazing.
One last thing about this salad: the dressing. The creamy (but light), citrusy, peppery, tahini dressing. It takes this summer salad to the next level. Trust me, you want to be on that level.
- ½ head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup halved baby tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped and pitted kalamata olives
- ½ cup sliced cucumbers
- 1 cubed avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ear corn, cut off of the cob
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas
- Tahini dressing (makes extra)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, to taste
- Place romaine lettuce in a large salad bowl.
- Top lettuce with tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, and avocado.
- In a small saute pan, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add corn to the pan and saute for about 2 minutes.
- In a large saute pan, heat ½ tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chickpeas, salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin and saute for 5-10 minutes, or until the chickpeas are golden brown in color.
- Add corn and chickpeas to the salad bowl.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing onto the salad.
- Sprinkle pepitas on top.
- To make dressing:
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.