Protein, protein, protein. It’s a word that non meat eaters hear a lot. Even though it’s much easier to get plant-based protein than most people think, sometimes it’s nice to get protein from things other than legumes and nuts. Enter plant-based protein powder. There are many brands of plant-based protein powder out there, but Vega is my personal favorite.
Each scoop of Vega protein powder has 20 grams of protein, 6 servings of greens, vitamins and minerals, fiber, and Omega-3s. In addition to packing in all of these nutrients, this protein powder makes almost any smoothie taste like a rich, creamy milkshake.
I’ve always really enjoyed neapolitan ice cream. Something about the combination of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry in each bite gets me every time. So of course I found it only natural to seek a way to make it healthy! What I came up with is this Neapolitan Protein Shake.
The base of each flavor is made up of frozen bananas and unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a combination some of you might know as Banana Nice Cream. I then added plant-based protein powder and natural ingredients such as cacao nibs, dates, and strawberries to create a worthy replica of the classic neapolitan ice cream.
The best part? You can eat it after a workout and actually feel better about yourself.
- 4 Bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 Scoop Vega vanilla protein powder
- 7 Tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 Medjol dates, pitted
- 4 Strawberries
- 4 Cherried, pitted
- For the Chocolate Flavor:
- Add 1⅓ frozen bananas, 3 tablespoons of almond milk, cacao nibs, and dates to a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy and add to a glass. Temporarily place the glass in the freezer.
- For the Vanilla Flavor:
- Add 1⅓ frozen bananas, ½ scoop Vega Vanilla Protein Powder, and 2 Tablespoons of almond milk to a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy and spoon it into your glass on top of the chocolate flavor. Temporarily Place the glass in the freezer.
- For the Strawberry Flavor:
- Add 1⅓ frozen bananas, strawberries, cherries, ½ tablespoon Vega Vanilla Protein Powder, and 2 tablespoons of almond milk to a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy and spoon it into your glass on top of the chocolate and vanilla flavors.