The holidays are great. But they’re also super nutty.
Amongst the wonderful fuzzy feelings I have this time of year are thoughts like:
“I hope Aunt ____ and ____ don’t start talking about how much they like Donald Trump this Christmas,”
“Oh #*%!, I still need a gift for ____ but I just cancelled my Amazon Prime free trial because I’m not a student anymore,”
“If my boyfriend is still with me the day after my family’s Thanksgiving dinner I’m going to owe him a long and relaxing vacation to a remote tropical island.”
So how do you balance out the nuttiness of the holidays? With more nuts, of course. Spiced Toffee Mixed Nuts that are covered in a sweet, slightly sticky, and perfectly spiced batch of fresh toffee. Nuts that are roasted to perfectly toasted and crunchy perfection but that still remain buttery and rich. Nuts that are wholesomely sweetened and bring you much greater piece of mind than your cancelled Amazon Prime membership.
The original idea for these Spiced Toffee Mixed Nuts came from these Toffee Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Bars that I literally make ALL. THE. TIME. They are my go-to dessert and I crave them constantly. The first three ingredients for this recipe (flax egg+coconut oil+coconut sugar) create the most amazing, delicious, sticky, sweet gooey toffee when they are mixed together. Oh man. I’m not going to lie, I drizzle that stuff on banana nice cream and eat it straight out of my mixing bowl every time I make those cookie bars. And one day, as I was licking my spatula, I considered the almost endless possibilities for that toffee.
“I can put it on oatmeal!” I thought.
“I can stir it into muffins!” I squealed.
“Oh my god, I can pour it all over mixed nuts and bake them in the oven until my house smells like Christmas and Anthropologie and the good section of Target’s candle isle! And hopefully they’ll actually taste good, too!”
My mind was working very well that day.
And so, I present these Spiced Toffee Mixed Nuts to you. May they occupy your decorative holiday snack bowls and fill your house with nice smells and may they always be there to take your mind off the scary idea of Donald Trump 2016.
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax meal+2 tablespoons water)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the flax egg by stirring the ground flax meal and water together in a small bowl.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the melted coconut oil and coconut sugar together with a whisk.
- Add the flax egg, sea salt, and ground cinnamon to the bowl and continue to beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add the raw nuts to the bowl and toss until they are evenly coated in the toffee mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the coated nuts onto the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast the nuts for 15-20 minutes, until they are golden brown but not burnt.
- Allow the nuts to cool for an hour before eating or storing them.