Hello there! Sorry it’s been so long since I last posted. The past week has been tumultuous to say the least. I picked up a brutal stomach bug and was in bed for three days straight. However, I’m happy to report that my energy and appetite are back!
To be honest I don’t usually order salads at restaurants because they almost always disappoint me. However, one exception to this rule of mine is the Chopped Mediterranean Salad with Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette at a restaurant in Scottsdale called True Food Kitchen. They have so many fresh, flavorful, and healthy dishes, and this salad is no exception.
The base of the salad is made up of micro greens and multi-colored quinoa. It’s topped with chopped cucumber, kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, green beans, feta cheese, and marcona almonds. Have you ever had marcona almonds? They’re the most flavorful and delectable almonds I’ve ever eaten. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive due to the fact that they are the least abundant variety of mediterranean almonds. Trader Joe’s to the rescue! I found a 6oz bag of them there for $6.95. While that’s still pricey, they’ve lasted a long time and really take this salad over the top. I also heard that they’re at some Costco locations for even cheaper!
All of the ingredients in this salad create the perfect combination of juicy, flavorful, and crunchy. The lemon oregano vinaigrette that the salad is tossed in coats it with the perfect amount of citrus-y goodness. I left out the feta to make it vegan, but it of course you can add it if you don’t follow a vegan diet. Feel free to make this salad ahead of time, as the flavors will be even better the longer the dressing is on it!
- 2 cups micro greens
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup chopped green beans, cooked
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup marcona almonds
- Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette:
- ½ tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- Cook green beans in boiling water for 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Add micro greens, quinoa, green beans, cucumber, kalamata olives, and tomatoes to a bowl.
- Toss with dressing and serve into individual bowls.
- Top with almonds and feta (optional).
- To make the dressing:
- Add mustard, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, honey, and garlic to a blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Slowly, through the top of the blender, add olive oil until it is combined.